By filing for, and successfully acquiring, a disability claim with the VA, you are opening yourself up to many other additional benefits. These benefits can be broken down into the following categories:
1: “Non-Service Connected Pension” (benefits available to extremely low-income veterans with disabilities that are not service-connected).
- A benefit that is available to veterans or surviving spouses who meet a means test. It does not require an injury during military service.
- More broadly awarded benefit with the aim of providing veterans with limited funds higher quality care, such as assisted living or additional in-home care.
2. Education Benefits
- Help Veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with needs like paying college tuition, finding the right school or training program, and getting career counseling.
3. Survivor Benefits
- This pension offers monthly payments to qualified surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children of wartime Veterans who meet certain income and net worth limits set by Congress.
4. Health Care Benefits
- Find out more about what type of health care benefits veterans are eligible for here.
5. Service-connected Compensation Benefits
- Veterans receive monthly compensation for the impairment of earning capacity that results from diseases, conditions, and disabilities that had their origin in military service.